Mittagong Homestead is located near Alexandra in the picturesque foothills of the Great Dividing Range. Alexandra is surrounded by many places of natural beauty eg. Cathedral Range State Park, Eildon State Park, Lake Eildon. The entire district has stunning scenery.
The region is a renowned Trout Fishing area. You can try your hand at catching a Brown or Rainbow Trout in the Lake or one of the rivers. Those who are unlucky can find local fresh trout and smoked trout in the local shops or Trout Farms.
There are many quaint villages within 30 minutes drive of Alexandra so there is much to explore.
Local activities and attractions
- Take a horse ride through the beautiful Rubicon Valley
- Visit Snobs Creek Falls at Snobs Creek or Stevenson’s Falls at Marysville
- Tickle a trout at the Freshwater Discovery Centre.
- Throw in a line and land a trout at the beautiful Lake Eildon or in one of our fine rivers. This region is renowned for trout fishing.
- Go rafting, abseiling or mountain bike riding.
- Go cross country skiing (winter) at Lake Mountain www.lakemountainresort.com.au
- Take a day trip and ski Mt Buller in the winter.
- Explore Lake Eildon, Eildon State Park Cathedral Range State Park.
- Visit the Mt Pinninger Lookout where some of the best views of the Lake are available.
- Bring your bikes and ride the High Country Rail Trail.
Events in the region
Alexandra Easter Fair and Art Show
Stall holders offering craft and produce which is complimented by Local Wines and Music.
The Alexandra Rotary adds photography, woodwork and handcraft to their major Art Display each year.
Alexandra Truck Ute and Rod Show
Held on the Sunday of every Queens Birthday weekend, Alexandra’s main street overflows with trucks, rods, utes, boats, and motorcycles. A major woodchop event, music, monster auction and trade displays make up a very big day.
The Yea Autumn Festival
Live music, craft, food and wine stalls. Children’s entertainment Arts and Crafts display.
The Molesworth Easter Bazaar
This is the biggest clearing sale of the year at the Molesworth Reserve with two auctioneers operating in tandem. Craft and local produce are presented in the towns’ hall.
For More information contact the Alexandra Visitor Information Centre on 03 5772 1100.